Sunday, February 06, 2011

DIY Modern Shed, Day Three

Shed, day three. In between another trip to the building supply store for lumber and sheathing, I traversed the cities picking up some recycled windows and a door I found on Craigslist.
MAjor score.
I got a really nice vinyl slider with a keyed lock, a huge picture window and two really neato bubble windows for less than $200. Perfect for the "backyard destination" aspect of the shed.

So we were on to setting the roof trusses. Since the front of the shed will have a 4' deep porch area that I knew I'd want to shade, I designed the roof to have a nice big overhang. Getting the trusses in place and securely strapped and fastened was fairly quick and easy, and other than a lot of nailing. so was the exterior sheathing. Hurray for the light weight parts of the job.
shed day three roof joists and sheathing
shed day three roof joists all up

You can see there on the "porch" my scavenged sliding door. That will go into the big opening on the front. In the big plastic wrapped dead body-shaped box is a mini storage style roll up door for that opening on the left side of the building. Since they are custom order and take a while to get, I put in an order for this as soon as I had the overall design finalized and the plans drawn. It showed up with perfect timing, from this place, chosen because they had the best pricing, literally HALF what the local place wanted to charge me. As far as the overall build goes, this was kind of a splurge, but it's got an industrial look that I think will be cool and functionally it just seemed to make sense vs. me taking the time to screw around with finish carpentry (that I suck at) to build and hang one myself. Plus, they come in a whole bunch of cool colors...any guesses what I picked?

4 Comments:

Blogger Krista said...

tangerine?

9:35 PM  
Blogger Moe said...

I would choose the teal color but I'm guessing you chose either sunset orange, tangerine, or valentine red. Probably sunset orange though.

Glad to see everything's coming together well. I've been following your progress from the beginning. I LOVE your house. Very jealous. We move around too much to do any permanent things so I'm stuck with painting the rooms and finding semi-permanent fixtures.

8:35 AM  
Blogger John said...

found your blog by accident.

Love this shed. I built something very similar for a very similar price (all in ~$1300). I eventually paved the ramp with natural flagstone as well. It matches our fence (on the right of the shed). Unfortunantly my neighbor has crappy vinyl fencing, but hopefully we'll have a natural plant fence soon enough over there.

I also have to add that I have a major crush on that wood burning oven too. Nice, nice work.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/9oxr0ZtWF18xCs386RZUXnci90zWzkR1a15cp6zgjTg?feat=directlink

12:34 PM  
Blogger splatgirl said...

Thanks John! Yours looks like it's from the MD 100 plans...yes?
Nice work.

p.s. it looks like you have plenty of room for a wood-fired oven!

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home